Saturday, November 27, 2010

Magnificent Maui

I've already shared the breathtaking helicopter ride in, but the rest of our time on Maui really was amazing.  We stayed in Lahiana, which I absolutely fell in love with.  Its a little town with a laid back feel.  It wasn't filled with a lot of resorts and I liked that our beautiful hotel (Lahaina Shores) was just 2 blocks walking distance from all the shops, restaurants, and action.  Lahiana was the original fisherman's town and was even the capitol of Hawaii at first.
View from our room
If you have been to Lahiana, you have definitely see the Banyan tree.  This incredible tree....is really all one tree.  I have never seen anything like it and it houses art fairs and small concerts on weekends.  Plus the sounds of the birds in the evening is astounding.....and LOUD. 
We of course saw the most beautiful beaches on Maui.  None were too crowded, the weather was perfect and we both had a blast playing the waves
A trip to Maui isn't complete without experiencing the Road to Hana.  The curves were fun and exciting and I only needed to take one dramamine.  We did a little hiking around to the off the road waterfalls and enjoyed some great coconut ice cream. 
However, the most interesting point in the drive for us, was passing Hana and continuing around the island.  The East and South side of the island are dramatically different than the rest.  As is... Dead, no life, and ugly!!  You go from beautiful waterfalls, to the dry desert.  We started to get a little worried since we hadn't seen a single car going our way.  I don't think Ryan and I said two words for about an hour as we drove on the most narrow and windy road I have ever been on.  Thank goodness for the "Oh Shit" handle.
Yes this is in color.
Our snorkeling trip on Oahu to Hanauma Bay wasn't exactly what we had hoped.  Basically, my (ridiculous) fear of sharks got to me and I just couldn't control my panic in the water.  And so, I needed some redemption and we signed up for a snorkeling trip with the Pacific Whale Foundation on Maui.  Snorkeling in Molokini was beautiful, but the highlight was at Turtle Town, where we were an arms-length away from beautiful Green Sea Turtles!!  I was convinced that it was a scam to just get us on the trip and didn't even bring an underwater camera.  But the view was amazing and breath taking.
 More (and the last) of the Hawaii Pics.

No comments: